Liturgical Music Ministers (LMM) Conference
Notre Dame Vision: Liturgical Music Ministers
The Word of God and Liturgical Music
Notre Dame Vision asks its participants: God is calling. How will you answer?
Liturgical musicians have responded to that call. They have acknowledged that God has blessed them with musical talent. They have cultivated and honed that talent through years of education and practice. They have placed their gifts at the service of God and the Church.
As a partnership between the Notre Dame Center for Liturgy and Notre Dame Vision, Notre Dame Vision for Liturgical Music Ministers (Vision LMM) seeks to provide liturgical musicians an opportunity for spiritual, intellectual, human, and pastoral formation. We take seriously the statement that “liturgical musicians are first of all disciples, and only then are they ministers”(Sing to the Lord, §49), and so we focus on forming the person of the liturgical musician in his or her relationship with God, providing new insight and inspiration that can in turn shape their ministry.
As the McGrath Institute for Church Life at the University of Notre Dame hosts The Saint John’s Bible Heritage Edition in 2017, our theme for Vision LMM will be The Word of God and Liturgical Music, and will invite us to reflect upon the relationship between Scripture and music. Each session will focus on different genres of liturgical music and invite participants to consider how music in particular and the arts in general invite us to enter into Scripture more deeply and there encounter Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word of God.
Vision LMM is for directors of music, choir directors, accompanists, cantors, choir members, instrumentalists—anyone involved in liturgical music ministry at the parish or diocesan level, or within a grade school, high school, or university setting.
- The Beauty of the Word: Liturgical Music and The Saint John’s Bible
- The Mass Ordinary: Foundation of Sung Prayer
- Singing the Psalms in the Celebration of the Eucharist
- Soaring Beyond Speech: Chanting God’s Praises
- Musical Exegesis: Hymns and the Spiritual Life
- The Music of Taizé and the Contemplation of Scripture
- Praise and Worship and the Affective Word
- “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly”: Singing God’s Word, Living God’s Word
- Adam Bartlett, President and Editor of Illuminare Publications; composer of Simple English Propers
- J.J. Wright, DMA candidate, University of Notre Dame; Director of Music, Church at Point O’Woods (Fire Island, NY); composer of liturgical and sacred music
- Timothy P. O’Malley, Ph.D., Director of the Notre Dame Center for Liturgy and Concurrent Associate Professional Specialist, University of Notre Dame Theology Department
- Eric Evans, Director of Music and Campus Minister, St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church and Student Center (Ames, IA)
- Jessica Mannen Kimmet, Campus Minister for Liturgical Music Ministries, St. Mary’s College (Notre Dame, IN)
Vision LMM runs from the evening of July 17, 2017 until noon on July 21, 2017.
- Registrations received on/before April 1, 2017: $450.00/person
- Registrations received after April 1, 2017: $475.00/person
Meals, residence hall accommodations, and materials are included with registration fee.
Isaiah's Vision, detail, Donald Jackson, Copyright 2005, The Saint John’s Bible, Saint John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota USA. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Contact the Notre Dame Vision Office:
334 Geddes Hall Notre Dame, IN 46556 Phone: 574-631-7425 Fax: 574-631-6968 email@example.com